Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Rainbows and birthday cake

Dave said yesterday that he really liked the fugly rainbow blanket. I think that it is, well, fugly. Don't get me wrong. I like rainbows as much as the next person. What's not to like. That magical arc in the sky, bright colours, mythic pots of gold. I really like colour. But I don't like feeling like it has assaulted me. Enter "the rainbow scarf".



This was one of the first things that I wove after the first glut of kids. I hadn't woven anything in about 5 or 6 years and had forgotten a lot of things. After weaving a well executed but boring shawl, next up was the much more interesting rainbow scarves. I used crochet cotton that was variegated rainbow. I lined up the rainbow colours and made stripes and separated them with black. I was rather pleased with the results. I hadn't realized that I still had one of these scarves left, but I do. It is not as soft and supple as I like, but I am going to put it up on the block and see if there are any takers. The detail picture colours are a bit washed out.



And today is my birthday. To all of those of you out there that are worried that it is the 6th day of the 6th month of the 6th year of the twenty first century, I say "pooh!" Don't spoil my birthday with talk of world destruction and all of that ...stuff.

We are having a friend from out of town over for supper tonight and on the menu are hors deurves and wine. Jalapino corn bread, mushrooms and pimentos in puff pastry, spinach and feta filo triangles, and a asparagus, mushroom, sundried tomato concoction that I made up which is going in both puff pastry and filo to see which works better. Then I am being stolen by Liz and Kate and we are heading out for a beer at the pub. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, you will know it is because I am hiding under my pillow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
And thanks for posting these pics. They are great. I STILL like the sampler from yesterday. It's greater!
Hope you got some nice gifties today.
Dave

Mia said...

Oh!

Happy Birthday to you....
Happy Birthday to you....
happy birthday dear Jackie...
Happy Birthday to you!!!

I'm so happy to hear a wonderful thing about today :-) Mmmm... all that food talk! Send a couple of those mushroom thingies over here!

Sounds like you're gonna have a MOST EXCELLENT day.. enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

Well folks, I'll give the end of day report (it's DH here). We had a huge excess of great food for the birthday dinner. Personally I stuffed myself on the spinach & feta filled philo pastries. Those things are just amazingly good. But then it was all good.

I think Jackie had a pleasant day, but after her trip to the pub with those hard-drinkin' fiber fillies who hang out here she was a bit too buzzed to continue and she fell asleep with the wee one shortly after coming home. No problem. She's good for it.

As for the scarf in this post, it's one I really love. She did a bunch of these and they were all nice, but this one is perhaps the best of the lot (maybe why it got tucked away). I always look forward to the next thing she creates, and am amazed at how she can see the end product in her mind before she gets started. I know weaving quite well as I used to do work with industrial scale weavers, but at the artistic end I just don't have it. Jackie has the talent and it's a real thrill to watch her exercise it.

Recently I heard somewhere the expression that love was "friendship on fire". When it's right that's the perfect way to describe it.

You'll probably get a report from Jackie in the morning, but I thought I'd weigh in anyway.

Oh, and yes, I washed all the dishes. :-)

Leigh said...

Happy Birthday!!! May it be filled with rainbows and birthday cake, family, friends, and fiber.

Your rainbow scarf is great. You do wonderful things with color. I like the idea of using varietaged rainbow crochet cotton. Very clever. That's something that even I can do!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday - sorry I missed it. God I love the shawl, it is fantastic! I hope you have a fantastic year and lots of good things happen!