Friday, September 08, 2006

The smell of vinegar


Yup.
More pickles. That is Bill's hand BTW that is stuffing those jars. I told you he was a prince among men. In this case, he is the pickle prince.
The kids feel the same way about dill's as I feel about fresh peas. Which means that I have been making a lot of pickles.
17 liters and 6- 1.5 liters jars. And we have been having lovely warm days and evenings and THAT mean that I'm not done yet. As they say about opera, "it ain't over till that fat lady sings" (and for those of you who are opera fans, that is NOT in any way, shape, or form degrading the opera. Relax. It's a saying) we say, "it ain't over till the frost hits". And if the forecast is to be believed, it ain't over yet. Thank (insert favoured deity here). I want a few more ripe tomatoes. Our tomatoes are not so happy this summer. Cool temperatures, moist/wet conditions make for small blighty tomatoes in my garden. I just hope that we actually get some plum tomatoes that we can dry. I have visions of Chicken Fettuchini with Sun Dries Tomatoes dancing in my head. We also have a dehydrator that has done yeomans service.

I also dyed some more yarns Thursday. But I don't have a camera today and so I don't have any pictures of them. But just to tease you, I have named one Chocolate Flambe, one Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright, one Tahitian Sunrise (not that I have ever been to Tahiti), one Chocolate Dipped Grapes. There are two others whose names I am still playing with. Or at least thinking about. They will be named first thing in the morning just after coffee, and just before being lovingly laid out on my table at market.

And for those of you who are local and were wondering, I was serious about the basil. Does anyone want some?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I'll never make it as a hand model. But I'll help making the pickles any time.

While Jackie is at the craft market right now with her weaving (and with any luck, selling lots of thing) I'm here lounging with the children. They're watching Lion King 1-1/2. It's a fun movie, but I think it's time to head out to the kitchen and make a jalapeƱo corn bread. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

f. pea said...

What a tease! I can't wait to see the yarn.