Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Baa Baa Black Sheep...

have you any Basil?

Yes, sir! Yes sir! Five bags full.

And that would be garbage bags full. Two have already been given away, one dealt with in my own kitchen, and I have three people interested in the remaining two. One confirmation just came in for a half a bag. It is really funny when I ask "how much do you want?" and people say "as much as you can give me". Then I mention garbage bags and there is silence. Then a "How Much?" It was 11 large plants that I picked yesterday. And by large, I mean 36" high.


I sent Mira to pick the peppers while I dealt with basil and a crap load of green tomatoes and she came back with this curiosity. A truly Canadian pepper. To me , it looks like a moose.


And here are the dills so far. I say so far because I have yet more cukes that were picked last night that shall be made into pickles today. And then there are the scores of tomatoes to wash. The good news is that most of them will slowly ripen over the next month and a half and we shall have tomatoes that , although were not fresh picked, we know where they came from.

In case you haven't guessed, we had our first serious frost threat. Last night it was forecast to go down to just above freezing. Time to go process.

4 comments:

Leigh said...

Wow, what a haul!

Anonymous said...

OMG, that pepper looks like Bullwinkle the Moose! (You could make a fortune on eBay with that!)
Your haul is really impressive. You're gonna have loads of pesto for the winter. Such a nice harvest. And all those jars and jars and jars...

Mia said...

First thing I thought was that looked like Bullwinkle! I loved that cartoon :-)

Dudleyspinner said...

Bullwinkle! my old buddy. Dudley is from Dudley do Wright of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame. You are a canning diva. Me I have just been cooking wool, lots of fiber but not very tasty!
Deb