Thursday, March 09, 2006

song meme

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they a’re any good, but they must be songs you a’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they are listening to.

1. Jewel - Who will save your soul

"Who will save your soul if you won't save your own?
Some are walking, some are talking, some are stalking their kill
You got social security, but that doesn't pay your bills
There are addictions to feed and there are mouths to pay
So you bargain with the Devil, say you're o.k. for today,"

I love the range. I love the lyrics. She is a truly talented writer. This was her first album, before the spit and polish was applied to her. It is still a little raw and her voice is the focal point. This is one of my all time favorites to sing along to.

2. Jewel - almost the whole album "Spirit" But if I had to chose one song, it would be "Down so long"

"I look to everyone but me to answer my prayers
till I saw an angel in the bathroom who said
she say no one worth saving, anywhere.
And a blind man in the corner said it's simple,
like flipping a coin.
Don't matter what side it lands on if it's someone else's dime"

I find my self singing this one from time to time when I am feeling particularly oppressed by life, the universe, and everything.

3. Richard Einhorn - Anonymous 4 - Voices of light

Taken from the inside booklet "An Oratorio inspired by the film "The Passion of Joan of Arc"

Holy oh mothers! This is a beautiful album. The words are Latintin (translation in side booklet) . I will not pick one song from this album, and you can't make me!

4. Amanda Marshall - Everybody's got a story

"See my eye's, don't see what I see.
Touch my tongue, don't know what tastes good to me.
It's the human condition that keeps us apart.
Everybody's got a story that could break your heart."

Why do I like it? I'm not quite sure, but I like to walk to this album. It is upbeat and true.

5. The sound track from " The Piano" Michael Nyman

I saw the movie 12 years ago and fell in love. With the music, the film, New Zealand. Hubbies comment " what a strange concept for a movie". I love the scene where Ada ( Holly Hunter) is on the beach playing the piano and her daughter,( played by Anna Paquin) is dancing and making sand sculptures. It is an incredibly moving scene where you can see the bond and understanding between the two characters.

6. On the street where you live - From the sound track of My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison

"I have often walked down this street before;
But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before.
All at once am I Several stories high.
Knowing I'm on the street where you live.
Are there lilac trees in the heart of town?
Can you hear a lark in any other part of town?
Does enchantment pour Out of ev'ry door?
No, it's just on the street where you live!
And oh! The towering feeling
Just to know somehow you are near.
The overpowering feeling
That any second you may suddenly appear!
People stop and stare. They don't bother me.
For there's no where else on earth that I would rather be.
Let the time go by, I won't care if I
Can be here on the street where you live."


Another one that I find myself singing when wee N and I are on our way home from a walk and she is starting to get fussy Excecpt that our version goes "On the street were WE live"

7. Gulf War Song - Moxy Fruvous


"We got a call to write a song about the war in the Gulf
But we shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings
So we tried, then gave up, 'cause there was no such song
But the trying was very revealing
What makes a person so poisonous righteous
That they'd think less of anyone who just disagrees?"

Apparently the first part is true. They did get a call to write a song about the war in the gulf and were told to not hurt any ones feelings. The strange thing about this is that it was 13+/- years ago and about the first gulf war when George Sr. had enough sense to stay out of Iraq. Because there was no good "exit strategy" . The song still rings true for this war that is happening now. What has changed excecpt the common sense?

As for the tagging part, that feels to me like chain letters. So do it if you want, don't if you don't.

BTW. Did any one else have the spell checker cack up your text? It did strange things to mine. Like it was stuttering. Curiouser and curiouser.

No comments: