Monday, March 27, 2006

Finishing the warping





After threading all of your warp threads through the correct heddles, it is time to thread them through the reed. The reed is the thing that is laying across the boards. It has a reed hook on it. The reed holds your warp yarns in order and it also allows you to "beat" the yarns into place after you put them through the warp.



Here is a close up of the reed, and an action shot of the reed hook being used.




Then you have to tie everything on to the bar attached to the front apron, making sure that the tension is even......



And you are ready to weave. That is if you have already dyed your weft yarns. Which I haven't , so I guess that I should go and do that.

It looks really complicated to learn to weave, but it really is not. There are many many steps to follow and it is quite time consuming, especially when you first start, but then again, so is knitting a pair of socks in singles.I think that it is worth it. There are some excellent books out there, but for any one interested in learning to weave,I would suggest taking a course. The two main benefits are that you have someone showing you what to do and the other is that you don't have to fork out for all of the equipment only to find out that weaving is not your cup of tea. I worked as a studio tech in the weaving department of the local craft college (where I learned to weave all those many years ago) for a few years, before wee Nicole came along. I can honestly say that there are some people that just don't get it. And there are some that take to it like they have been doing it for years. You won't know until you try.

I have seen week long courses that are like "weaving vacations". Search for them on the net if you are interested.

Good luck .

Next step....Weaving. Once I dye my yarns.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I've been weaving for a long time, but I've never seen a warp change from oranges & reds to greens & blues.
Are these 2 different projects or some very unusual yarns?
Nice weaving posts.

Jackie said...

It's magic!

Actually it is dying the warp after it is made up. I had some ugly coloured merino given to me. The yarn itself is nice, but the colours were icky to my colour sence. See my previous post called "step two or space dyeing 101" You see the transformation from blue/green/burgundy/salmon striped warp to the colours that you see me warping.

Jim said...

Holy smoke...I've seen looms with in-progress projects on them, even seen people working on those projects, but I never would have imagined what it takes to get one set up! I am most intrigued, and fascinated (and I have a little bit of a headache now!). This is much more serious than that potholder I made in day camp years ago! Thanks for the informative posts and photos...I can't wait to see the finished project...I know it'll be beautiful!
(you know, I'm going to have to find a weaving class now..thanks!) :-)