Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Spring is coming!

It is the last day of the dreaded month of February! Finally! The weather is suppose to be warmer starting Thursday. And my seeds have arrived! I can just see the peas poking their little tender heads out of the soil! I can't wait! Last year, due to a large late flood, the garden was under water until mid May. I didn't get anything in until the first week of June. June 1 is our usual planting time here for the tender things like tomatoes and beans, but there are a few hardy souls that actually do better when they are planted when it is cool out. Peas being one of them. I like to put them in as soon as dad tills the garden. My father is a dairy farmer who lives just on the outskirts of Fredericton. He has plenty of room out there, and so has, for the past 12 years, tilled up a small plot for DH and myself. Last year it was about 700 square feet. The kids LOVE peas, as do I and so every year I plant about 40 to 60 feet of peas. At peak pea season, I can pick a 40 Liter bucket and we don't even sit down to eat them. It is like witnessing the vegetarian vultures descending. Usually only one pot of peas gets cooked. Hubbie likes them cooked, so he gets one pot on his birthday. Personally, I think that it is a waste of a raw pea to cook it. I can eat cooked peas anytime of year, but a fresh raw pea only comes in a short window. Yummy. I can hardly wait!

4 comments:

Amy Blades said...

I meant to ask where you get your seeds, and if they're certified organic? I found a Canadian organic seed supplier online the other day that takes paypal, racked up $50 worth of seeds but I wasn't sure if there was a better/cheaper place to look. Oh, and where did you get the seeds for the crimson hot peppers?

Jackie said...

I get my seeds from stokes. I have a catelogue thst I am done with. They are the only place that I have seen crimson hot seeds. So far as I know they do not sell organic seeds, but they do have quite a few that they sell that are "untreated". The catelogue is yours for the taking.

Mia said...

That did it... I'm planting a garden this year!!

Jackie said...

There is nothing more wonderful than eating something that is warm from the sun and so fresh that it was growing only moments before.