Tuesday, February 07, 2006

HELP!!

It all seemed so simple when I was starting "the sock". Instructions seemed to make sense. I know knit and purl. But I just want to clarify before I start THE HEEL.

The instructions are as follows.( after adjusting the number of stitches on the needles)

Row 1. K across row. Turn

I can do this!

Row 2. P1,Sl1 across row ending in an Sl1. Turn

My big question is... Does "Sl1" simply mean slip one stitch from one needle to the next. Followed by a purl of course. And then ending in another Sl.

I know that those of you that are seasoned sock knitters may think that this is a trivial question, but I want to get it right! The first time. I hate the idea if pulling out rows of knitting.

Which actually leads me to question number 2. How did pulling out knitting stitches ever come to be known as "frogging" ???I saw a reference on somebody's blog once and have been baffled ever since?

Please help me finish my sock so that I can get to work on sock #2 and then proceed to ,gasp, a lace sample. I made myself promise me that I would finish one knitting project before starting the next one. Lofty goal, I know.

Thanks in advance.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Just what I was going to say. Good luck with the socks. You'll love them once you get the hang of it....so hang in there. From another Freddy Beacher.

Jackie said...

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I am going to go do that RIGHT NOW! I am so excited to be entering the next sock phase! Yeah!!!

As for the frogging... cute!

'Zann said...

I see you got answers to both your questions. You will feel so...competent....when you finish your socks. I have knit nearly a dozen pairs now and being able to make the knitting turn 90 degrees and become a sock never fails to seem like magic to me.
Are you knitting on dp needles or doing the circular needle magic?

Jackie said...

I'm DPing. I didn't know that they made circular needles that were small enough to knit socks on. But then again,I haven't looked. I am trying to stay out of yarn/craft/etc. stores while I use up some of my stash. I have been doing very well lately. Not having much of a disposable income helps;-) And I love to feel competent so I am going to KNIT MORE!

My father in law tells a story about his aunts who could, between them, knit a pair of socks in an evening of "chatting", finishing "their sock' within seconds of each other. Amasing!

Valerie said...

Sounds like you are getting good advice. RE: circular needles...there's a technique where you can use 2 circular needles to knit a sock. IMO it's for people who don't like fiddling with 3-4 dp needles. I've always used dp's and the two circulars seem fiddly to me.
Get ready, when you get to the end of that heel flap, you'll be doing short rows. Have fun!

Jackie said...

I have never used a circular needle, (although I have some) so I guess that I don't know what I am mising. I have already noticed some very tight turns and short rows on the needles that I am not using. Things are getting interesting....

Liz said...

I expect the socks will be lovely. I can just imagine that soft fuzzy warm feeling yummy.