Friday, February 10, 2006

Head cold and the February Blahs

I have succumbed to my first head cold of the season. Or maybe it's my second. I just know that I feel like one of those teddy bears that you see in those 'create your own bear' shop who hasn't been stuffed. Actually, maybe it's more like a dishrag. Floppy and drippy. We are also in the almost middle of that month I have never liked, February. The calendar says that it is the shortest month, but I know different. And we have had enough mild weather to melt what little snow we had this year so now, in the middle of a cold snap, it doesn't even look pretty outside.

I don't even feel like knitting on my sock.

Part of my problem may be that I just finished reading The Lovely Bones. Wonderful book. Heartbreaking. But wonderfully written. It speaks to one of my most profound fear. To have one of my children murdered and never having a body to grieve over or to give a sense of closure. To never know. It may sound strange, but even when she was talking about her rape and murder, I was dryeyed, but the second that she started talking about her family's reaction and emotional turmoil, I became a faucet.

I think that I need to go find me a light, funny, cheesy romance novel to help me pull myself up. If I feel like I can brave the elements, I just may go to the library and see what they have. But I'm going to go lay down first.

Oh yeah, and to top it all off, the cat has fleas. Poor old beast.

1 comment:

Liz said...

i too could not handle the family part. excellant book. heart wrenching. but excellant.