Friday, December 28, 2007

Waaahhhhh

The holidays are a busy time. On this we can all agree. And sometimes when we are rushing to complete our assigned tasks, we over look some small, but important details. Like that single purple sock that ended up going through the washing machine and dryer. Sigh. If I hadn't decided to knit the mittens out of the leftover yarn, I could have knit a replacement sock. But alas, that is not to be.


Merino really does shrink a lot, doesn't it?
So I have decided to knit a new pair of socks to replace the one so foolishly lost in the washing machine incident. I dug into my "yarns for sale" stash (seeing as I am done selling until the spring) and hauled out two skeins of this dark blue yarn. Maybe I'll have them finished before spring this time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! I can't tell you how many times I've done that. (Which is why I have SO many pairs of socks now.) Shrink the other and put them aside. You never know when a little child will come over on a cold winter's night and need some warm hand knit socks. It COULD happen. :)

David T. Macknet said...

Yep - was going to say that shrinking the other & giving them to a child is about the only way out, at this point. Sigh.

On the other hand, do all socks have to match? ;)

Anonymous said...

We don't need to wait for a small child to come over. We have one of our own. She'll grow into those socks.

DH

Laritza said...

You can always recycle them into a cell phone or MP3 player bag :D

Leigh said...

I've never knitted Merino socks so I think you're braver than me! I agree with Laritza; there are lots of possibilities for that shrunken sock!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. When we were younger, I seem to remember you doing a similar thing to dad's wool cardigan (amazingly, it fit you perfectly afterwards). So maybe it is just karma. Anyway, you have no lack of small feet in your household to make use of the other sock when it is shrunk.

Happy New Year!!!

KansasA said...

Don't you just hate that? I dread when one white sock gets dyed in a load of dark clothes or worse "red," one can never duplicate that mistake!