Friday, December 21, 2007

Happy Solstice!

Today is the day that many of us have been looking forward to. The shortest day of the year. I don't know about you, but for me there is something about getting up in the dark and coming home in the dark that really bite.

Today is the first day of winter, but I shall forgive it that. It is also the shortest day of the year. Which means...... that tomorrow will have a bit more sunlight. And the next day will be longer still, and so on and so on until we slide into glorious spring! The Equinox! Where the day and the night have come to an agreement. Just that one day, they are equal.

Then the sunlight starts to win. The sunlight rules! Summer comes on, full bore! Flowers and trees and the birds come back. I can forgive the mosquitoes, the birds need them. Summer is about sitting in the back yard with friends and a cold beer. It is barbecues and spinning outside. It is the lake and sweating and swimming. It is no school, no lunches to make, and no homework! It is wonderful!

I love summer and as of today, we are headed back into it instead of away from it.

So join me in celebrating the shortest day of the year, because it gets brighter from here!

Happy Solstice!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Solstice! This is what we celebrate here at chez Cabin Cove. I like the winter hours, I prefer to travel under the cover of darkness. Bwahahahaha!

tanita✿davis said...

Happy Solstice, Jackie. God haste May. Bring on the flowers.

David T. Macknet said...

Woo Hoo! Finally, life will start to look up here in the land of darkness! Of course, there's still Winter to contend with, but by the time Spring comes around we'll have a good balance, and then it's all fun from there! We're getting fewer than 6 hours of light a day now ... so we'll make up for that in the Summer!

Christine said...

Happy Solstice!!

KansasA said...

Okay this post is bringing tears to my eyes, I can feel your excitement and I am joining you :) I can't wait to break the first ground in my garden, feel the sunshine on my face, and even smack that first mosquito!