Thursday, December 13, 2007

Couldn't wait!

I received a shipment of some superwash merino roving a couple of weeks ago and managed to get a chance to dye some last weekend. My immediate observations are that it dyes really differently from the regular merino. It accepts the dye very quickly and the dye tends to stay where you put it. I am thinking that I am going to have to try some experimentation in the near future to see if I can figure out the best way to work with the superwash. I have about 5 pounds to play with. But first, I want to see how my dye experimentation spins up.

I was also fortunate enough recently to be able to purchase about a pound and a half of raw alpaca fleece. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I should approach this, I would be grateful. Should I wash it first? Card it? Pick it? There is a bit of VM but not a lot. I was told that the fleece was from the back and neck, which I assume is desirable. I think that I may want to dye some of it before I spin it. I do, after all have a bit of the stuff to play with.

And here is what I couldn't wait for. I was going to wait until Christmas before using my new basket, but I needed somewhere to put my freshly dyed superwash merino. The basket is still sitting on the chair in front of my loom which is blissfully empty. I do have a bobbin full of the next scarf all plied and waiting to be skeined off, but I am not feeling any pressure. I may get around to weaving it this week coming up. Or I may not. I still have a good selection of stock left.

Saturday is tree day here. The kids are just about ready to burst. They are looking forward to a two week break from school. So am I. No worries about getting up in time, or lunches, or HOMEWORK! Two weeks of not having to rush. I hope.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

lovely dyeing!
RE: the alpaca - what color does it appear to be? Alpaca's bathe by rolling in the dirt. Their coat is not greasy but it can hold a LOT of dirt. Usually when I wash it, there's a ton of sediment at the bottom of the wash basin. That may or may not have an effect your dye results.

Teyani said...

your dyeing looks wonderful to me ! It will spin up great.
Yeah, superwash is certainly a different-kind-of-cat when it comes to dyes.
Have fun playing - and enjoy the great tree expo-ti-tion :-)

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Lovely fleece. I love, love, love that basket too. I would love to find one like it.