Thursday, April 17, 2008

G is for

Green Growing Things

I've waited a long time for this. The winter was very white with a longer and snowier year than we have had in a long time. When others were posting pictures of green things popping up in the garden, I was posting pictures of yet another snow storm. Finally, spring has arrived in the Maritimes.

First up, Mira's indoor garden. In the lower right is popcorn. Who knew if you planted popcorn, it would grow. But grow it did and space will have to be found for it in the garden. To the left of the popcorn is dragon fruit (see close up below). Behind the dragon fruit is the kiwi and everything else is part of the lychee forest.

Close up of the dragon fruit. These are a cacti. See a full sized plant here.
Lovely lychee leaves
Here are my freshly transplanted peppers and freshly thinned broccoli. (Yes Bill. Baby plants were harmed in the transplanting of the peppers.) Not shown are the freshly planted tomatoes because all you would be looking at right now would be dirt. Which is brown and not green.

And yesterday, on my way to work, I had to stop and admire this lovely crocus patch. Today we are scheduled for temperatures in the low 20's (C). Spring is sprung!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely plants Mira, I am amazed at the size of your lychee plant. You are quite the botanist.

Pretty soon you will be able to transplant your seedlings in bigger pots and set them outside.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have some of those kiwi growing in your yard. I was told that you need a female and a male tree to get kiwi, but you probably already know that.

I tried to grow a mango plant but my seed kind of turned black after a short time. I read somewhere that because the mangos are stored in the cold the seed can develop a kind of fungus.

Good luck Mira

Looks like Mama has a head start on her planting.

Mamoo

Anonymous said...

Aaaggghhhhh!! Baby plants died? That's terrible. Every plant is precious. Every seedling deserves a full and wonderful life.

Leigh said...

Oh, you've got green things growing! I'm so envious.

Christine said...

I am envious of all those peppers!
Mine have just started to break through the soil. Our tomatoes and herbs are thriving though. And my potted chives from last year are HUGE already, this despite the fact that they were abandoned on our deck for the winter! Isn't mother nature wonderful!

I am also trying my hand at acorns this spring. Yesterday, while inspecting our unfortunate oak stump, I found 4 nuts with little green shoots spouting out of their cracked shells.

cb

tanita✿davis said...

I'm so envious of your greenhouse!

David T. Macknet said...

You must be elves or something, to have such success in growing things! Congratulations on all of it!

KansasA said...

Okay I think I'm gonna cry... I went outside this morning and anything that was attempting to grow is now looking pretty darn sad :( We were down to -3C this morning after a high of 23 the other day!
The dragon fruit looks really cool! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job Mira! I once thought that you had the makings of a entymologist but I see that maybe botany might be your thing. Either way, you would really enjoy the jungle, where you get lots of bugs and plants. Here is Scotland we are well past the crocus stage. We are now into flowering trees.

Curious Llama