Monday, April 14, 2008

Am I behind the times?

Normally, I buy my eggs at the farmers market and at a small independent grocery store. The eggs are from a local producer and have the expiry date stamped on the carton. Occasionally, if I am there and in need of eggs, I will buy them at the big chain store down the street. This happens about twice a year and I was greatly amused (and slightly horrified) when the expiry date started to appear directly stamped on the egg itself.

But this is the first time that I have seen a website stamped on the egg! It takes you to a page advertising that jobs are available in the company. Think of the marketing potential of such an idea. People will advertised just about anywhere, so why not on the side of an egg?

What do your eggs have to say?

8 comments:

KansasA said...

I can see it all now; because I don't have a stamp... sitting there writing my blog address on all the eggs from my chicken coop! But you've given me a great idea for a banner LOL :)

Anonymous said...

Farmers don't make much money for the labor involved, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Advertising on eggs is a potential for the egg farmer to make extra money I guess. A cool idea.

Mamoo

Anonymous said...

Well, can you beat that? Cracked me up. First I thought it was a yolk, but now I see it's serious. Maybe they thought the ad campaign would go over easy, as long as the letters weren't scrambled. At least the agency was chicken to try something new.

Anonymous said...

Wow, things are really getting bad. I'll tell ya, if I start buying produce with advertisements on it, I want a DISCOUNT since the product is already subsidized. Or whatever. That's just crazy.

Leigh said...

Well, I can't say I've ever seen that before.

tanita✿davis said...

Oy, the bad puns!!

We'd never seen egg-stamping until we came to the UK, but fruit is often stamped with a website so that you can go online and see when it was picked and they can allegedly tell you details about the date it will be at peak ripeness. I have *never* seen advertising for something else!!

Valerie said...

Eggs in Michigan don't say anything, except maybe "you crack me up"...literally.
(I swear the guys at Kroger play basketball with the egg cartons before putting them out!)

Anonymous said...

Like Mamoo, I think that advertising on eggs is a great idea. Farmers are paid nothing for their produce and it is the big supermarket chains that are making all the money. I just hope that the money for the advertising is actually going to the farmer and not to the supermarket chain that bought the eggs from the farmer!

Curious Llama