Friday, January 18, 2008

Silk and Merino blended

I have been having fun with the drum carded at work. I dyed some superwash merino and some tussah silk in the same pot the other day with the idea of blending them into something that I haven't spun before. And I succeeded.


Presenting the dyed silk and merino.
I equally divided the merino and silk into 5 equal bundles of 105 grams of merino and 5 grams of silk,

which I then blended on the drum carder,
and made in to five wonderful bundles of beauty
that I have started to spin tonight. One of the bundles had a little more pink in it and I am splitting it into quarters and spinning in in between the other four with a little bit of the pink blend saved for the end. I will then ply it from a center pull ball. I am hoping that this will even out the purple bits. It is nice to spin and I hope that it will be nice to knit with. Some day.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That is some beautiful yarn you have there Jackie; I don't think I could ever have the patience to do all that work....it is gorgeous though; can't wait to see what it is like worked up.

I am Curious Llama. said...

Hello Jackie! Just to let you know that I have finally set up an google account, so I no longer have to send my comments in as anonymous. I am 'curious llama'. This photo was taken in the apolombabma region of Bolivia this summer. The path that you can see
is a pre-inca road.

Is it the silk that is giving such a sheen to your merino? Pretty colours.

N

Sue said...

Drool.....

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! I have a drum carder, but can't seem to get the hang of it yet.

Anonymous said...

@ Curious llama

It seems a bit of a stretch of the imagination to call that thing a "road" at all. At least in our context. Looks like a path to me. Nice critters though.

Leigh said...

I have to say that this is one of my all time favorite blends. Your color choices were superb, and what coming off your wheel is absolutely yummy.

David T. Macknet said...

I see that, after we're done going to school in the UK, we're going to have to come to Canada for some instruction! Fabulous!

jessie said...

I absolutely love how silk and merino look pre-drafted (clouds!) and spun (metallic, almost).

Lovely!