Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Let it Snow?

Today we are having the first big storm of the year, and the fourth storm of the season. And we have 3 to 4 months of snow left to come.

That lump to the right in the photo below? That's the car completely buried. Thankfully we are not planing on going anywhere soon. And yesterday, I had the kids shovel off the back step. So much for that idea. The lump in the front is the barbecue. I don't think that we will be using it today.


This time of year is also a time when people start talking about Resolutions. Or changes that they want to make in their life. My resolutions are simple. Of course I would like to lose a bit of weight, but that is not one of them. Neither is getting more exercise, which is another thing that I want to do.

No, my New Years Resolutions are......

1. Drink more water. Just straight water. Soda water counts.

2. Keep better weaving and spinning records. Which mean going back to taking records of all projects. I have the weaving record keeping sheets. I have the binder. I just need to DO IT! Spinning records will be something new for me. But Dave (is it OK if I link to your blog now Dave?) has sent me a excel spread sheet that will help.

And this will be the first thing that I record. The other day, Sarah and I went to the school and did some dyeing and as a thanks for all the help that I have given her with her weaving and dyeing, she gave me two pounds of shetland/merino roving. I am working on it and it spins up very well. It is a little rougher than what I have been spinning and so will not be for socks or scarves, but I think that it will make wonderful mittens. It takes dye beautifully and I am really enjoying spinning it. Two pounds of mittens? Maybe I'll find something else that I can use it for.

7 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

Keeping records ... yeah, that would be a good thing! Will you maybe dedicate a new blog to it? Or a series of entries? You could set up a projects blog, with a standard format for each post - say, one picture, a 30 word description, some measurements, and tag each one into a knitting / spinning / weaving category. That way you'd have it, could look back on it, and wouldn't have to carry a pad around.

Of course, you'd have to do the blog entries about it, so maybe that's not so easy.

Good luck!

We thought - very briefly - of recording everything we eat. That lasted about 2 minutes. ;)

David T. Macknet said...

Oh - and do you have a snow-blower, or do you have to shovel all of that by hand?

B said...

ohhhhh it looks so nice! Not the snow. I mean the spinning. The snow.... Gah. It's 5 pm and the sidewalk still hasn't been done! Eeek!

Willington Weaver said...

The snow looks wonderful, here in the Uk, if we get snow, everything comes to a "stand still". We are anticipating 1 to 2 cm today!

Keeping records is vital, I know from experience that if I don't someone will want a copy of something and I will spend hours working out how I did it.

I keep design sketchbooks, even for spinning, and put in all my experiments with colour notes and written notes and small samples of what I did. It's surprising how it leads to more ideas and beautiful yarn or weaving.

Happy New Year.

Alison

Christine said...

Okay, now that snow looks back breaking but is still beautiful.

Right on about those records. I find pieces of projects and ask where did I leave off, what is this for and why do I have all of the warp measured out and how much is it anyway?

B said...

http://i-am-byrne.blogspot.com/ fyi

I'm trying it out. I'm emotionally attached to my LJ, but there's issues LOL

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Whoa, it looks deeper than the last storm ... so it must be piling up. We're getting our January thaw next week tho. Yippy!

I want to get organized and knit from my stash more for my new year resolution. You're the 1st one I've confessed this to. ;-)