Monday, January 07, 2008

Shetland 3 ply

I have finished my first skein of the shetland/merino roving. I decided to make a 3 ply and try knitting some mittens with it. My lazy kate only holds two bobbins so I made a center pull ball and plied both ends of that along with one bobbin. I think that I need to come up with a lazy kate that will hold three bobbins. I remember making one from Kenx a few years ago so I don't think that it will be too big of a problem. My next skein will be a two ply. This will be the first time that I have tried a comparison of two and three plies.

We won't talk about the thumbs that I need to put in my purple mittens. I don't think that it will take me long to knit those pesky thumbs. The trick is to get started.

This morning was the kids first day back at school after the Christmas break. I have spent most of the morning cleaning up. It is rather hard to clean around kids sometimes. They tend to get in the way and they also haul out what you have just put away.

And in the weather department, we have 3 days of above freezing temperatures forcasted. Above zero even at night. So all of that snow and ice has started to melt and will be greatly diminished over the next few days.

5 comments:

KansasA said...

Rather hard? I say downright impossible!

Anonymous said...

Well, nobody else has commented, but I think the yarn looks very nice. I'm going to have to take another try at spinning sometime.

DH

Leigh said...

OK. I know you must have loved working with that blend! Yum! I think you did pretty good with plying 3 singles. Something I've not tried that way!

David T. Macknet said...

It's always so amazing to me that you can make things like that yarn. I know, I know, it's something done from time out of mind ... it's just amazingly cool.

brendah said...

Hi, I'm visiting from the stitchmarker exchange. I don't have a blog but I was in the stitchmarker exchange last year. Anyway, I wanted to tell you about an easy makeshift lazy kate. I prefer it to the kates that go with my spinning wheels since they all have different sized bobbins. I saw this from Judith Mackenzie McCuin, she used a sterilite storage basket and put a knitting needle (a wood dowel works too)thru the holes to hold the bobbins. You could use any basket type container that has holes on the sides. If you don't know what they look like, you can see them at www.sterilite.com click on the link to storage then "ultra storage baskets". Hope that helps!