Most of the yarns that I use in my scarves that I weave are dyed twice. Some of the yarns are dyed when I get them, and sometimes I dye the colours myself. A lot of times, once the warp is dyed, I need to dye a weft yarn to match. I like the weft colour to be a little darker than the predominant colour. I find that the weft disappears best that way and the colour changes of the warp become the main feature in the scarf. I always dye more weft than I need because I would rather have too much than too little. And I know that if there is any left over, I can always use it in my next warp. And those little bits that are too short to use in a warp? I use them in my temari balls. I am almost at the end of my silk from my favorite supplier that retired last year. They had a wonderful sale and I really stocked up. I wove and I dyed and I wove and I dyed. Most of the time, I was very careful to choose colours for the warp that were at least on the same side of the colour wheel. But like I said, I am almost at the end of this stash of silk. More is coming sometime in the future, but it will be a different weight and while I don't mind mixing weights of yarns on occasion, for the most part, my woven scarves have all been of one weight. So here is the last warp that I made up. It is a blend of so many colours. Like I said, I was getting near the end of this batch of silk, and there were many small balls that were left over wefts from other projects, some blues, some purples, a lovely beige, green, and a couple of shades of red.
Apply some dye and suddenly I have three new scarves that are very different. When I started to dye this, I realised that I was almost out of many colours. I wanted to use up my old colours before mixing new ones, so in true frugal fashion, I used up a lot of my little bits of dyes so that nothing would go to waste. And here is what I came up with. These are three separate scarves in one warp. I just piled them all up so that I could get one pictureAfter looking at my finished scarves, I realized that they were predominantly in the blue/green range with a bit of purple thrown in. And thinking " I NEED RED!" I let the first one become red. The next is mostly purple and the last is blues and greens and browns. I emptied out 6 of my jars of dye and mixed up six new jars while I was waiting for the warp to steam. Most of the time when I rinse out and dry my scarf warps, I end up liking one of them more than the other two. Not this time. I am excited to get this on the loom and see what they look like.
But first, I need to get this off the loom.
It was two scarves in a New Zealand wool that was originally a medium grey and dark grey colour. They are a little dark for my tastes and so I find that I would rather spend time at my wheel spinning. But now I have motivation to get them off, so that the new ones can go on. Hopefully by the weekend. IF I can pry myself away from the wheel long enough.