Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Colour me pink

I am pleased to say that I have been chosen as the winner of Jay's craft challenge. I am sooooo looking forward to a box of knitterly goodness coming my way, including 100% authentic Australian yarn. I can hardly wait to get my fingers in that bundle of beautiful fiber.

For those of you who have just joined us, I'm going to give a quick and dirty tour of what went into the shawls. To begin, they are woven on a loom.


I started by making a warp


then I dyed the warp in two sections, using different colour ranges. Blues and greens on one side, reds and oranges on the other.


After it dried, I had to put it on the loom, first by attaching it to the back beam and then slowly winding it on.


Here is when it changed to the blue.



Next it was threaded through the heddles

through the reed


and tied on to the front beam.


Then came the weaving.


Then the knotting and fringing.



And here is a close up of both shawls.

For more indepth coverage of any of these steps, please feel free to browse through my archives. I started the whole process on March 14.

5 comments:

Jay said...

Oh my goodness... complicated, time consuming, and friggin' brilliant! A well-deserved win, Jackie. Don't forget to send me your mailing address so that I can get those goodies on their way to you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations once again. I was first to give you a yay over at Jay's. (Yeah, I spelled your name wrong. My bad.)
It was fun to watch along on your progress.
Congratulations!

f. pea said...

You are SUCH a champion! I am salivating over those shawls. Especially the red one. Drool, drool.

Dudleyspinner said...

WOW!
what a process but such results are stunning.
I heard a keynote address by Judy Ditmore. That woman loves to weave and her dye class would have been great to attend. (I was teaching so I couldn't) Weaving is so beautiful.
Deb

Unknown said...

Completely breathtaking. What a beautiful art.