Saturday, March 24, 2007

You know who you are....

And now, another poem by that most wonderful of poets, Shel Silverstein.


Hector the Collector

Hector the Collector
Collected bits of string
Collected dolls with broken heads
And rusty bells that would not ring.
Pieces out of picture puzzles,
Bent-up nails and ice-cream sticks,
Twists of wire, worn out tires,
Paper bags and broken bricks.
Old chipped vases, half shoelaces,
Gatlin' guns that wouldn't shoot,
Leaky boats that wouldn't float
And stopped up horns that wouldn't toot.
Butter knives that had no handles,
Copper keys that fit no locks,
Rings that were too small for fingers,
Dried up leaves and patched up socks.
Worn-out belts that had no buckles,
'lectric trains that had no tracks,
Airplane models, broken bottles,
Three legged chairs and cups with cracks.
Hector the collector
Loved these things with all his soul-
Loved them more than shining diamonds ,
Loved them more than glistening gold.
Hector called to all the people,
Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people
Came and looked....and called it junk.

6 comments:

WhiteFeather Hunter said...

Hey, it sounds like my studio!! har har!

Valerie said...

you hit the nail on the head. Especially since I just got home from buying a whole new stash of sewing fabric because a local sewing store chain is going out of business. I am Hector! Ouch!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm one of the silly sightless people, who doesn't keep a treasure trunk.
But I do believe I know a Hector or two.
Indeed, I believe my sister might be living with a few.
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that poem was directed at me. Today the kitchen table was covered with a lot of nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc. that I was sorting into the the little drawers of one of those organizing cabinets. Guess it was a bit too much to have around. Sigh.

Father of Jackie's children

Leigh said...

What a hoot! I used to be a hector, but two long distance moves cured me of that.

kelli ann & lorie said...

i *adore* shel silverstein. such delight in those imaginative syllables tripping off your tongue. i recently heard an interview on NPR with his nephew, Mitch Myers, and was amazed by all of the stuff i didn't know about him! (hooray, again, for public media.) are all kids hectors?