Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I love spring

Everything is melting. We are down to about a 4 foot snowbank in front of the house. In a couple of weeks, we will be down to grass. Brown grass from last year, but soon the little green shoots will show their heads. I looked out the window the other day and saw the heart in the snowbank. I think that my neighbour thought that I was a little bit cracked when I ran outside and started to take pictures of the snowbank.
I have to say that there is one thing that I don't really like about spring. The sand that gets tracked in daily. Here in the land of ice and snow our sidewalks get plowed, sanded, and salted after every snow storm. Storm after storm. Sand layer after sand layer. When all of the ice and snow melt, you are left with a lot of sand. Which gets tracked in to my front hall. I suppose that I could save it to put in the sand box for the babe.


And do you remember the pyrex episode ?


Well, I did it again. This time it was rice in a pot on the back burner and I meant to turn on the front burner. One burnt pot of rice later, I decided to do something permanent about my "little problem" You can see my solution above. F stands for FRONT. B stands for BACK. It has been a few weeks and this new system is working for me.

7 comments:

Laritza said...

Sure I remember the pyrex episode! How could I forget?

Leigh said...

Wow, snow? I wish I could send you some of our weather.

Good job with the "b" and "f". I had to do something similar to label all the light switches in the house. Why should I spend all that brain power trying to remember which is which? Labels are so much easier.

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Whew ... I would have had to put the tape in different colors also. Green and RED. My bad habit tho is forgetting to turn OFF the burner. Thankfully, most of the time I put a pot back down on ANOTHER burner & I see (or smell) the red hot glow 15 minutes later. Now how can we cure me? (My DH would like to know too) ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your new B/F system will work. :) It is simple enough.

I am reminded of my hatred for my old stove though. Setting the temperature for the oven was an exercise in patience. There was a little dial that you turned. One click clockwise was *supposed* to raise the temperature by 5 F on the LED, however one click clockwise often raised the temperature by as much as 200 F or lowered the temperature by 200 F -- depending on the movement of the stars, or the cats out on the street. Turning one click counterclockwise was just as random. And even when the temperature was *set*, it fluctuated by about +/- 25 F, per batch of cookies. Oh, it was a tempermental beast and I wasn't sorry to see it go at all.

Conversely, I love my new stove (new from 2 Christmas' ago -- Yes, that's right, my husband and I exchanged appliances for Christmas -- he "got" the Fridge). It's a ceramic top, and the burners glow red when they are on, so it's very easy to tell which burners are on, though Joe did burn one of my pot lids on it once. But best of all, the oven temperature is *quick* to set, and the temperature stable within 5 F. :)

clothesknit said...

hard to believe you're still thawing out when we're starting to feel pretty miserable and sticky. wanna trade places?

Valerie said...

Thanks for the "heart" picture...I can appreciate the effort that went into it.
Pyrex episodes...we almost had one here a few weeks ago. Dh (newly retired and now an ever present "help") started cooking w/ one of my 'oven & microwave only' pyrex bowls on the stove and was planning to the oven from there. Fortunately I caught him early in the process and aborted the attempt.

Christine said...

Spring is out in full force here in Northern Virginia. My daffodils are running amok and the pollen count is high. Yesterday I saw a neighbor out mowing! We live on 1/4 acre plots and he was tooling around on his RIDING MOWER!!!! Oh, wow! I laughed and laughed and laughed at the laziness.