Monday, March 28, 2011

Retreat! Again!

I haven't been producing much these days although I did get about a foot woven on my latest rug. I just seem to be so busy all the time. Most evenings, I find myself wondering where the day went. I am scheduled to finish work in a little over a month and am looking forward to some time to just get a few things done around the house. Heaven knows that things need to get done!

But in the mean time, I am heading to Nova Scotia for a Fibre Arts Retreat on Friday! The retreat in October was just a spinning retreat but this one is for all different kinds of Fibre Arts. Last year there were spinners, weavers, quilters, felters (needle only- no wet felters please) a huge amount of hookers, and a tatter or two. It was a great weekend.

This year Sarah and I are going as well as my mom. She is a hooker who has been bitten badly by the hooking bug! It should be a great weekend!

9 comments:

Julia said...

Jackie, I'm looking forward to the retreat and meeting other hookers and see where that takes me.

I'll be checking my list of things to bring and I'm told that hookers bring a lot of stuff to work with so I'm hoping that there's a lot of room for my thing in the vehicle.

Let me know ahead of time when I'll be picked up please. It's strange to be counted amongst fiber artists.

Christine said...

Have fun!

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, hah! Wet felters would kind of be a ...space/water issue, I guess. That's the only kind of felting we've ever done... I'll be interested in seeing some pics of needle felting, if you have time/inclination.

So, is hooking the same as latch-hooking, only it's not got the painted kits and pre-cut yarn bits? I've often thought it would be fun to hook a rug without the instructions and with varying fiber textures - but we just don't have much space/time right now for fiber arts. :( We're living vicariously through you, you know. Have fun, guys.

Jackie said...

Tanita, the hooking that we are talking about is not quite the same. You use a burlap backing and strips of wool and loop the wool up and down through the burlap. People used to use feed bags and old clothes but things have gotten fancier over the years with special burlap and new hand dyed wool. Sort of like what has happened to quilting. It used to be a way of repurposing old clothes to make something to keep you warm, and now people spend big $ on fancy fabrics.
Here is a website for a local (Maritime) hooker who is quite well known. It might give you a better idea. http://www.hookingrugs.com/

mira's papa said...

OMFG!!! I married a hooker's daughter. What will my mother think?

Unknown said...

Mira's papa... it gets worse, she is also the farmers daughter, and her daddy's the milkman......

Anonymous said...

Clabbywatzer clabbywatzer

Anonymous said...

POST SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's been two months already!

mira's papa said...

Fiddleheads, pasta dishes. Photos of. Your daughter is waiting.