Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Change my name to Peter

As in .....Peter piper picked a peck
(including jalapeno,
crimson hot, and banana peppers)
of pickled peppers.
This is of course a small sampling of the jars and jars that we pickled last week. First we did the crimson hots and banana peppers and the I switched to jalapeno. And you can see from the middle jar that the switch over happened mid jar. And there are more to come.

For those of you who are interested in pickling your own hot peppers.....

3 cups vinegar
3 cups water
1/3 cup pickling salt

bring to just boiling point
spoon sliced peppers (Bill does all of ours by hand, but if I have to do them, I do them in the food slicer) and let simmer 1 minute
scoop out of pickling liquid with slotted spoon into clean jars and pack lightly
ladle pickling liquid to within 1/2 inch from top of jar
wipe rim and apply snap lid and screw bands
put in boiling water bath for 10 minutes
let cool on counter on towels
remove screw bands and wipe jars

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That post was mouth watering.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I agree on mouth watering. What a load of hot peppers you got there Peter Piper...

I mixed my hot peppers this year as some were very hot and others were not, so I have a colorful mixed of pickled peppers. Some are red, dark green, yellow and lime green.

I have chow down one jar already. Yum yum.

Mamoo

Anonymous said...

Call you Peter? How about we just call you Pepper? I'd LOVE to make a seafood stir fry with a couple of handfuls of those. It amazes me that you have this kind of bounty from your garden. (Do you still bicycle over there?)

David T. Macknet said...

What awesome peppers!

You know, I still have a wee packet of Crimson Hot seeds ... they'll be going into some dirt as soon as we can get hold of some (Glasgow is filthy, but doesn't sell potting soil, as far as we can tell). :)